What is Reflexology?
Reflexology involves applying pressure to certain areas of the foot to encourage healing throughout the body. The idea behind it is that areas of the feet (known as reflexes) correspond to other areas of the body. By stimulating these reflexes, the other areas of the body are prompted to begin healing.
What benefits can be expected?
1. Relaxation – Feeling similar to a massage and usually done in calming surroundings, many people try reflexology purely for its relaxation benefits.
2. Improved well-being – Reflexology is considered a holistic therapy and therefore aims to balance and restore the body as a whole.
3. Stress relief – Allowing you to truly switch off and relax, reflexology can help to reduce stress levels.
4. Eases tension – It can be surprising just how much tension we hold in our bodies, reflexology aims to relieve tension throughout the entire body.
5. Improves circulation – Prompting blood flow to the extremities, reflexology helps to boost and improve circulation.
6. Detoxes the body – The practice encourages the body to gently detoxify, so ensure you drink plenty of water after your session to help flush out toxins.
7. Boosts the immune system – Reflexology encourages the body’s self-healing process, helping it to ward off infection.
8. Helps you sleep – The relaxing qualities of the therapy make it ideal for those who struggle to sleep.
9. Quiets the mind – Working on an emotional level as well as a physical level, reflexology gives you the time and space to de-stress and quiets any racing thoughts.
10. Increases energy – Feeling lethargic is often a sign that your body isn’t working as efficiently as it could. As a balancing therapy, reflexology should leave you feeling refreshed and revitalised.
What Conditions Can it Help?
Reflexology is not in itself a therapy to diagnose diseases and ailments or a medical treatment, and it does not cure illnesses; but we believe that when used correctly, it can help to create balance within your body in order to facilitate healing and increase well-being in patients suffering from many different conditions.
Reflexology promotes relaxation, release of tension, improved sleep, improved mood and increased wellbeing and as such has been attributed to helping relieve the symptoms of a number of ailments. There are a number of research projects and papers that support the positive benefits of reflexology and anecdotally some people find it almost ‘miracle–like’ when it comes to their individual situation.
Reflexology may be effective for many conditions including:
Headaches / migraines
Stress and stress-related conditions
Reflexology may help relieve congestion, aid circulation, relax muscles, calm overactivity in any part of the body, and stimulate underactivity. It may improve cooperation and coordination between the bodily systems. It is a gentle therapy that aims to encourage the body to work naturally to restore its own healthy balance.
Reflexologists do not claim to cure, diagnose or prescribe.